Funding source: Thailand Research Fund (TRF)
Partners: Khonkaen university (Project leader)
Principal investigator: Dr.Vichien Kerdsuk
Researchers: Suppakorn Chinvanno, Pornwilai Saipothong
Timeframe: November 2008-March 2011
Period: 30 months
Status: on going
This project created frameworks and processes in risk, vulnerability and adaptation of agriculture systems and rain-fed farmer sub-sectors to climate and socio-economic changes using Mun-Chi river basin as a case-study.
This project focused on
- Defined determinants and indicators to risk, coping capacity and vulnerability of agricultural systems and farmering communities in the Mun-Chi river basin.
- Studied adaptation of agriculture system and farmer communities in the selected area under difference climate scenarios and socio-economic scenarios.
Work in this project includes :
- Literature review on changes to agriculture systems in the Mun-Chi river basin and impact of climate variability.
- Analysis on impact of climate change on agriculture system, with focus on rice, maize, cassava and sugar cane.
- Conducted crop modeling simulation to estimate future crop yield in Chi-Mun river basin under different cropping pattern scenarios, which is driven by different development directions.
- Assess climate change, risk, vulnerability and adaptation at community level in 1) Loi Aoy District, Kalasin
2) Pho Sri District, Roi et
3) Toon Laung District, Roi et
4) Huay sam mor, Sri Sam ran District, Chaiyaphoom