July 2011 - Workshop on Development of Future Scenarios of Quy Nhon City - Vietnam
Date: 13-15 July 2011
Place : Quy Nhon City, Binh Dinh Province, Vietnam
Detail : SEA START RC in partnership with Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI Asia), National Institute for Science and Technology Policy and Strategy Studies (NISTPASS), TBWA Thailand, Vietnam Forum of Environmental Journalists (VFEJ) under support from UNEP Regional Climate Change Adaptation Knowledge Platform, Asia-Pacific Adaptation Network (APAN) with collaboration with the Climate Change Coordination Office (CCCO) of Quy Nhon City, had jointly organized a workshop on “Development of Future Scenarios of Quy Nhon City” during 13-15 July 2011 with local stakeholders and journalists of Vietnam.
The workshop aims to demonstrate scenario-base approach for long-term planning in order to create understanding on holistic view of multiple plausible futures, which should be used as basis for sustainable development strategic planning under climate change influence.
The workshop focused on the following issues:
- Introduce concept of long-term planning under socio-economic dynamic condition;
- Introduce concept on dealing with uncertainty of the future by using multiple scenarios;
- Introduce concept of holistic view of the future, taken climate change as well as socio-economic change, to formulate story line for planning and test outcome of various development strategy toward resilience of sectors in the society;
- Introduce concept of climate change adaptation as dynamic process, which requires repeated exercises overtime to cope with change in the context and new knowledge on climate change;
- Demonstrate process in scenario building;
- Demonstrate process in analyzing consequences of each storyline from various scenarios and how to apply it to climate change adaptation planning;
- Create awareness among participants that climate change adaptation should be constructed based on input of various members of society.
Expected outputs and outcomes
- New perspectives toward climate change adaptation planning that it should based on multiple scenarios;
- Example of scenarios, which illustrate holistic view of the future, are developed;
- Resilience of sectors under different circumstances of the future changes is adopted as target for climate change adaptation planning;
- Storylines of the future Quy Nhon City constructed.